The Society of Saint John the Evangelist is also known as the “Cowley Fathers.” Today one of our retired clergy sent me the link to the podcast of their Rule. He says, “The first rule was written by founder Fr. Richard Meux Benson, in the 19th century at Cowley, near Oxford (SSJE was the first monastic group to start up in England after Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries).” There are short 4 minute chapters and will be perfect for my short commute. I thought some of you might also find them of interest.
From their website: SSJE Audio Rule.
The Rule of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist
We Brothers welcome you to a share one of our daily practices: listening to and reflecting on a chapter of our Rule of Life.
Beginning on Ash Wednesday (February 25), a new chapter from our Audio Rule of Life, read by a Brother, will be available each day, along with suggestions for prayer and reflection.
- To listen to the SSJE Rule of Life, read aloud by a brother, click on the chapters to the right [CLICK HERE].
- To read a Guide to Personal Reflection, click here
- To Subscribe to the SSJE Rule of Life, click the subscribe buttons on the right [CLICK HERE].
- We welcome comments on each chapter.
- To purchase a copy of the book The Rule of Life, click here