I am quite late at this and it will probably be past the first of the year when I finish, but I think it is worth the effort. So…
Following Ed’s lead I too will being the Third Annual Ralphies with music. Sort of. As much as I love music, I just haven’t had the time to listen to much of it. I do, however, listen to podcasts with great regularity. So in keeping with the audible nature of this category I will list my favorite podcasts of 2006. I used to commute an hour and a half each way to work and during that time XM radio and then podcasts were indispensable. Now my commute is 6 miles so washing up the dishes has become my podcast time at night. I find these shows information, educational, and even fun. 🙂 If you have other favorites, please be sure to note them in the comments! I am always looking for new podcasts.
- This Week in Tech – better known as TWiT. There are in fact several podcasts from the “TWiT Network” started by Leo Laporte that I listen to and enjoy.
- MacBreak Weekly – is another from TWiT.
- Mac Observer’s Mac Geek Gab – Mac centric again, but this program takes listener’s emails.
- NPR: Technology – NPR has, in fact, a large number of podcasts including a series that collects the week’s stories on a theme. In this case, technology.
- NYT: David Pogue – an audio version of Pogue’s reviews. Always good.
- NPR: Religion – I admit, I don’t have many in this category, but this is a nice roundup of the week’s religion news on NPR.
- Philosophy Podcast – from LearnOutLoud.com. Portions of classical philosophical texts read by professionals. Very nice refresher or primer on the classics!
- Chris Evans: The Best Bits – CE is a DJ that I would listen to when living in England. He now has the evening drive time slot on BBC Radio 2. This is the best bits from each week. Much fun.
- The Now Show! – From BBC Radio 4 a weekly news comedy program. The Daily Show owes its heritage to British programs such as this.
- Wait wait…Don’t Tell Me! – The NPR weekly news quiz show. This is a highlight of my week.
- Grammar Girl – This is a little 5 minute primer/discussion of grammatical questions and questions of style. Be sure to check her website to find the episode regarding style guides (go Chicago!).