From a listserv to which I subscribe. I thought some might find it fun to play along.
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? HC; I like eggnog but hot chocolate is soothing to me.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He wraps them now, but when I was a kid he set them on either side of the fireplace (I have one brother, we each had our own side).
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Color/white (tree/house).
4. Do you hang mistletoe on house? Sometimes. Depends where. 😉
5. When do you put your decorations up? After Thanksgiving.
6. What is your favorite holiday food (excluding dessert)? The Date Nut Tapioca Pudding has to be up there. It is not a desert and is only eaten at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child. Hmmm. A fond memory is falling asleep under the pew in Christmas morning service because I had been up so early.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My brother and I had been left in the car while mom and dad shopped in Toys R Us (you could do that back then). My brother, who is five years older, had done something, I went crying in to my parents. I saw dad at the end of the aisle with a Mickey Mouse drum-set in the cart. He spotted me and bolted, but on Christmas morning the drum set was in the Santa Section.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? One per family member.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? LOTS of lights with the new multifunction blinking lights. My dad has always very particular about how the lights and ornaments go up, but my approach is “shock and awe” and what better shock than letting a 9 and 3 year old put up the ornaments?
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I cannot wait for our first snow in over a decade! And the first for our kids. We are supposed to have flurries today, but nothing so far.
12. Can you ice skate? I can slide on those little metal blades, yes. Would I call it skating? No.
13. Do you remember your favorite Christmas gift? Pipes. I collect and occasionally smoke pipes. They are beautiful and the best time to smoke one is on Christmas Eve, after the kids have gone to bed, with beautiful music, and a glass of port.
14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Remembering that Easter began with His birth.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Pecan pie.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Putting up the tree and midnight mass.
17. What tops your tree? A star, a star, shining in the night…
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Prefer? 🙂 I live to receive but I love it when I have gotten someone something they really wanted.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or yummy? Meh. I can take em or leave em.
21. Favorite Christmas Movie? I don’t really have one. My favorite show is “The Year Without Santa Clause.” I’m Mister Heat Miser!
22. What would you most like to find under your tree this year? I really couldn’t say. (Without being flippant, that is. I would love to find my student loans paid. :-[/mfn]
23. Favorite Holiday memory as an adult? The first Christmas Elizabeth and I were married. We were on Yarnton Manor, Oxford while attending the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies. No one else was around. Our tree was about 18″ tall, sitting on a table, and we had a goose that barely fit the oven and still had some feathers on it. It was wonderful.